Tuesday 15 August 2017

Every Inchie Monday - Frog

So this Monday's challenge word at EIM is Frog.  I could have gone with the old common frog which we have loads of in our garden.  In fact every year around the 6th Feb (almost to the date give or take 2 -3 days) I can hear them all "singing" as they congregate in our pond to mate and they are there for a week and then disappear to wherever they came from!  However I am rather fascinated with the blue poisonous dart frog or it's native name, Okopipi - (isn't that a fabulous word?). It is found in the forests of northern Brazil and it is the poisonous skin toxins that were used on the darts of natives for hunting.  The bright blue warns predators of its poisonous nature which causes paralysis or death.  The black spots are different on each frog making each unique and identifiable.  I'm afraid my frog is not quite azure blue (I didn't have the right colour thread!) and the black spots were difficult to define in thread - French knots were too bold and anything smaller too little!!  So I have large and small black dots but then my frog is unique!!


You may have noticed it's Tuesday not Monday!!!  So the reason I am posting this late is that it was my daughter's birthday yesterday and so her birthday card and cake took precedence!!  I was rather chuffed with both so I just had to show you:

Her cake is a favourite - Chocolate Peach Gateaux except I didn't have time to make it as the gateau so I cheated and made it as a roulade - that way it was just one rather large thin cake with the filling and rolled up with the second filling on top.  This is what it should have looked like:
But I have to say it was delicious and just the same taste as the main cake it just took me half the time to make!!!

So on to the last reason why I was late - I wanted to make an engagement card for her and since their favourite colours are purple and orange I decided to do a series of 9 inchies in those colours and put them on a card.  I toyed with the idea of actually making them into a mini quilt with little dangly bits of wool and beads but time was not on my side so I opted to put them on a card and then later I can always do the mini hanging.  However I really enjoyed myself - I have no idea how other people do this but I used a sheet of fabric colour catcher paper, painted it with brushos. 

Then I laid a sheet of bondaweb over it, overlaid that with thread, material and lace, then another piece of bondaweb and laid a piece of organza on top - then over freezer paper ironed the sandwich together.  This is what I got:
 And after cutting the inch pieces I decorated them with threads and embellishments, here are some finished - I still had three to go.

And now here is the finished card - again photography cannot capture the richness of colour and texture but this is the best I can do:
So it's been quite a creative weekend and after all the gardening and clearing out I think I deserved a play!!  Have got lots of travelling to do again this week and next week so just as well I've got all that out of the way!  Hope your days are bright and fulfilling and thanks for dropping by and any comments you leave, I always enjoy reading them.  Until next time and don't forget to click the link and view the other inchie makers creative work.

8 comments:

  1. Oh you have been busy Jenny. The frog is wonderful...Wendy used the same species of frog so I had already googled and been amazed at the fabulous colourings...but hadn't spotted that fabulous name!
    Your cake looks very celebratory and sounds delicious. I am very impressed at your textile exploits too both cards look so interesting and textured. I have made notes from your comments. I am guessing Bondaweb is a fusible webbing...you have given me a lot of inspiration and my head is buzzing, thank you, Dixx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Di, bondaweb is a very fine fusible webbing which irons 2 surfaces together - I use it all the time and the first card is made the same way using a distressed coloured base (a dry wet wipe!) then bondaweb , then flowers - I used bluebells and violets, then bondaweb ( you have to strip it from its paper and it's very flimsy and static), then organza on top - but make sure you iron it with parchment paper over the top otherwise it will stick to your iron. I love the different ways flowers respond with their colour. Thank you so much for you lovely kind words - you inspire me with what you do so it's rather nice to have turned the tables so to speak! Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jenny for all this wonderful information on using the Bondaweb...I do have some webbing but it is quite heavy, too robust for your delicate outcome...I need to look for something more suitable. Dixx

      Delete
  2. Great poison dart frog and I love the inchie card with all that texture:-)

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love your inchie, your baking and the amazing sewing project

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great frog (snap), not very easy to sew either. The cake looks lovely, the inchies are colourful and textured, great cards.
    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the frog, I think he looks alot like the one I saw in the pet store. I love the cakes! Where's mine?? Great works on the sewing items

    ReplyDelete